Lakeside Trip

July 20-28, 2010

The City of Oberlin, Ohio

Oberlin Inn

We got here via Willoughby, Ohio for a Beverly dental appointment at Dr Krantz's.

Then on to Oberlin, where we stayed at the Oberlin Inn. Lunch at Black River Cafe at 15 South Main Street. Mini walking tour of several historical sites in the area. Included the National Historic Landmark homes of John Mercer Langston and Wilson Bruce Evans. The college itself is also a National Historic Landmark.

Dinner at Weia Teia at 9 South Main Street, a very good fusion restaurant. Then a walking tour of the college in the area of Tappan Square, the park in the middle of the town.

Wed July 21: Breakfast at Black River Cafe. Cappuccino at Slow Train Cafe. Drove by and photographed the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Weltzheimer/Johnson House on Morgan Street. Drove through the Westwood Cemetery.

Langston House

John Mercer Langston House
207 East College Street
A National Historic Landmark

Built in 1856, it was the home of John Mercer Langston who was an ardent abolitionist and civil rights leader. An Oberlin College graduate, he was Ohio's first Negro attorney, and served as the U.S. Minister to Haiti. After leaving Oberlin, he served as the Republican Congressman from Virginia. The house is a private residence and closed to the public.
Above information provided by the Lorain County Visitors Bureau.

For more photos and information in a new window,
click on the picture to the left or: link.

Evans House

Wilson Bruce Evans House
33 East Vine Street
A National Historic Landmark

Wilson Bruce Evans was a cabinet maker and undertaker, but took part in the Oberlin-Wellington Slave Rescue. He was a brother-in-law to Lewis Sheridan Leary, one of three who were killed in Harpers Ferry. The house was owned by his granddaughter, Dorothy Miller, who lived until she was 98 in Washington, D.C., she maintained an apartment in the house for her frequent visits to Oberlin. The house is earmarked for preservation.
Above information provided by the Lorain County Visitors Bureau.

For more photos and information in a new window,
click on the picture to the left or: link.

Oberlin College sign

Oberlin College
Tappan Square
A National Historic Landmark

Founded in 1833, Oberlin Collegiate Institute developed into a socially and politically influential college during the years immediately preceding the Civil War. Oberlin made the education of Blacks and women a matter of institutional policy. The admittance of four women in 1837 marked the beginning of coeducation on the collegiate level in the United States; free Blacks were admitted on the same basis as whites.

For more photos and information in a new window,
click on the picture to the left or: link.

Bardwell House - 181 East Lorain . . .   Built in 1846, it was the home of Reverend John Bardwell and his wife Cornelia, who were both active in missionary and anti-slavery causes. Fugitives were concealed in the house in hidden rooms located under the eaves.

The Frank Lloyd Wright designed Weltzheimer/Johnson House on Morgan Street.
It's owned by the Allen Memorial Art Museum of Oberlin Coillege.

Lakeside Photos

A panorama of the Lakeside Lakefront:
Lakeside Lakefront
To view it in a new window at high resolution, click on the photo or here: link

The Lakeside Craft and Art Show on the hotel lawn.

A clump of milkweed at Jasmine and the Lakefront.

Fran, Veronica and Beverly enjoying an elegant lunch at Tea By The Sea on 2nd Street
while John and Larry were having Chilli Dogs at Netty's.

The Honky Express, from (where else?) Cleveland, Ohio
Family Night in the Park Sunday July 25 6PM.

Saint Joseph Cemetery, overlooking the Lafarge quarry

A panorama of the Lafarge quarry:
Lafarge quarry panorama
To view it in a new window at high resolution, click on the photo or here: link